IBM has finally provides us a way to remove "/wps/portal" in WebSphere Portal *pops champagne*. Do take note that this only applies to WebSphere Portal v8.5 CF8 onwards.
Take note (as of WebSphere Portal v8.5 CF8): After you have successfully remove “/wps/portal”, the system will not be unable to locate all previous custom themes that you have created earlier. You will need to run xmlaccess manually to remove “/wps” from the theme context-path.
“EJPFD0097E: No theme was found to render the page. Navigate to Administration and assign a working theme to restore full function to your site.”
Do the following steps to remove “/wps/portal”:
- Start cw_profile. Open your cmd and go to <app_server>\ profiles\cw_profile\bin and type “startServer.bat server1“.
- Go to Configuration Wizard (http://<server_ip>:10200/ibm/wizard).
- Login in with admin ID for cw_profile profile.
- Click “Set Up a Stand-alone Server > Modify Site URLs for Search Engine Optimization” or “Set Up a Cluster > Modify Site URLs for Search Engine Optimization” depending on your environment type.
- Click on “URL Settings” and select “Yes” for “Do you want to modify or remove your context root” field blank. (as of WebSphere Portal v8.5 CF8) I would not remove navigation state information using this method as this will cause default portal 8.5 theme to lose its navigation state as well. A better method will be this.
- Click on the “Next” arrow.
- Key in the required admin information and leave “Context root” and “
- Click on “Start Configuration” button.
- Click on “OK” button.
- The wizard will pause at certain manual steps. Click on the “Instructions” link to follow through the manual configuration.
- Congrats! You have remove “/wps/portal” from the url!